Wednesday 1 July 2009

Aspiration Inspiration Perspiration

It's been said that "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"[1]. I'd like to add aspiration - the will to succeed - because without that it is very hard to move from inspiration to perspiration.

Today: Aspiration

My current drawing and story-telling levels are not where I want them for this project, so before I can produce anything I'll be happy with, I need to do a lot of work. Someone said it is a big mistake trying for a certain style (in art), before you have the basic skills - and I will try to take that to heart, and raise my basic skills before doing too much drawing for the actual comic. Meanwhile - here's someone I wish I could equal.

Der-shing Helmer

This extremely talented individual is the writer and artist of The Meek, a webcomic that's only been running for a short while so far, but which is shaping up to be an excellent read.

The Meek is about a young woman named Angora, who, when the comic begins, is running naked through the forest for some unknown reason. Gradually it is revealed that she is on a quest, though what the object of the quest is is still unclear. I don't want to say too much, because I'm a complete spoilerophobe myself, but it is very mysterious and interesting so far.



The art of The Meek isn't perfect, but it looks almost exactly like I wish my comic would. The level of abstraction is perfect, the colours and composition are lovely, and the site itself is beautiful - if simple.


(Images, of course, copyright Der-Shing Helmer. Click through to get to the larger images on DeviantArt).

Sometimes when I see something like this - just what I want to do, but much better than what I can do - I get dispirited, because it feels like I'll never get there. However, ArtBloom gives me hope :o) Click through and see that it is indeed possible to progress, with practice.





[1] By Thomas Edison.

1 comment:

  1. Style-wise, it reminds me of that other recommendation of yours I recently picked up - What birds know.

    ReplyDelete